Going Global: UOIT develops a plan to engage the world
University of Ontario Institute of Technology builds international capacity through strategic approach
October 13, 2015
As Canada’s first purpose-built, publicly funded university founded after the turn of the millennium, the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) was born into a globalized world.
Ideas know no borders and, as such, universities are at the forefront of building global communities. As UOIT continues to grow, the university is playing an ever-increasing role in global engagement.
It is in this spirit that UOIT announces its refreshed International Plan, a document that galvanizes all of its current activities in the global educational community and establishes four strategic directions for further internationalization opportunities.
“Our university is a degree destination for students from the around the world, and at the same time we are creating amazing opportunities for University of Ontario Institute of Technology students to graduate with a global learning experience,” said Michael Owen, PhD, UOIT Vice-President, Research, Innovation and International. “Our International Plan aligns with our university-wide priorities to prepare graduates to succeed and underscores our desire to greatly increase student and faculty mobility around the world.”
Strategic directions of the UOIT International Plan:
- Set the on-campus student experience as a foundation of our internationalization efforts.
- Create opportunities for our students to graduate with a global learning experience.
- Build our strength in research through expanded international collaboration.
- Enhance our institutional capacity for global engagement.
“Our vision builds upon the guidance of the university’s Strategic Plan,” said Owen. “For this shared vision to be a success, our students, faculty and staff will all play a role in our international engagement, and that success will occur within the context of the many challenges and opportunities we will face over the coming years.”
- View full UOIT International Plan
UOIT International by the numbers:
- UOIT has a student exchange agreement with partner universities in 21 countries
- UOIT has a formal partnership with 45 educational and research institutions around the world
- UOIT faculty members hosted 75 international research visits in the 2014-2015 academic year
Communications and Marketing
University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT)
905.721.8668 ext. 6709