Honouring excellence in research, teaching and service delivery
University recognizes achievements of campus community
December 12, 2016
The annual Awards of Excellence recognition event honours individual commitment and celebrates team achievements over the past year at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. The university celebrated each 2016 award recipient as well as the entire campus community at a special event on December 6.
- The Team Excellence Award highlights a team that has demonstrated exemplary performance and has made significant contributions to the university.
- The Staff Awards of Excellence recognize staff members who have made outstanding contributions in their roles and achieved excellence in demonstrating the university’s core competencies.
- The Research Excellence Awards recognize faculty who have achieved national and international success and recognition through their research activities and enhanced the university’s reputation as a research-focused institution.
- The Teaching Excellence Awards provide recognition for teaching excellence, encourage its pursuit, publicize such excellence across the university and the wider community, and promote informed discussion of teaching and its improvement.
From a long list of distinguished nominees, the university acknowledged the following members of the campus community:
Team Excellence Award
- FBIT Student Recruitment Team (Faculty of Business and Information Technology): Christa Andrews, Lee Bazely, Tim Claydon, Cyndi Hillis, Brianna McKay and Melissa Picard
Staff Awards of Excellence
- Patricia MacMillan, Faculty of Social Science and Humanities
- Ade Oyemade, Office of the Registrar
Research Excellence Awards
- Early-stage researcher:
- Dr. Leigh Harkins, Faculty of Social Science and Humanities
- Senior researcher:
- Dr. Hossam Gaber, Faculty of Energy Systems and Nuclear Science (cross-appointed with Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science)
Teaching Excellence Awards
- Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty: Dr. Janette Hughes, Faculty of Education
- Teaching Assistant: Ronald Bell, Faculty of Science
“These awards celebrating individual and collective accomplishments of our faculty and staff reaffirm our unwavering commitment to our students. Our collective pursuit of excellence underscores our promise to deliver the best university experience to those who choose us as their place to learn and to conduct innovative research. Special congratulations to this year’s outstanding nominees and recipients.”
-Tim McTiernan, PhD, President and Vice-Chancellor