There’s a lot of talk: Upcoming speakers and panels at the university
March 13, 2017
The University of Ontario Institute of Technology generates exceptional student outcomes in a dynamic learning environment. As a regional hub for innovation and impactful research, the university regularly attracts community leaders, subject matter experts and high-profile personalities to campus.
Community members are welcome to join students, faculty and staff to enjoy public speaking events and other community learning opportunities. Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Some high-profile events require tickets.
Faculty of Business and Information Technology Distinguished Speakers Series
Jeffrey Lyash, President and CEO, Ontario Power Generation
- Thursday, March 16, 7 p.m. (doors open at 6 p.m.)
- Regent Theatre, 50 King Street East, Oshawa
- RSVP/tickets: tickets.regenttheatre.ca
Purdue Pharma Canada Lecture Series (Faculty of Science)
Dr. Justin Du Bois, Department of Chemistry
Stanford University, Palo Alto, California
Topic: Turning Toxins into Tools for the Study of Sodium Ion Channels
- Wednesday, March 22 from 5 to 6:30 p.m.
- Science Building, Room 1140
Three Minute Thesis – Finals
University-wide competition for graduate students in which participants present their research and its wider impact in three minutes or less to a panel of non-specialist judges.
- Thursday, March 23 from 2 to 4 p.m.
- Gordon Willey Building, G-Wing, Room 213
Faculty of Social Science and Humanities Annual Dean's Lecture
Steve Paikin, Host of TV Ontario’s The Agenda
Topic: Never a Dull Moment in Canadian and Ontario Politics
- Monday, March 27 from 7:30 to 9 p.m.
- Regent Theatre, 50 King Street East
- RSVP required: FSSHSpeakersSeries@uoit.ca
Bank of Canada Governor Stephen S. Poloz (open to students and alumni; event also available by webcast)
Topic: Canada’s Economic History
- Tuesday, March 28 from 10 to 11 a.m.
- Student Services Building, Room 116AB
Samantha Nutt, Global Humanitarian and Founder of War Child
Topic: When Women Lead
- Thursday, March 30 from 7 to 9 p.m.
- Science Building, Room 1120
Reflections on Hate and Trauma: Public Panel
Why do individuals join violent groups? Panel includes people who have lived those lives but managed to disengage over time.
- Friday, March 31 from 2 to 5 p.m.
- 61 Charles Street Building, Room 219
Futures Forum on Community Mental Health and Wellness
The contemporary health and wellness environment reveals a convergence of an aging population, rapidly increasing the burden of chronic diseases and the exponential growth of technology.
- Wednesday, May 10 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- 61 Charles Street Building
Recent campus speaking events include:
- Daniel Fournier, CEO, Ivanhoe Cambridge
- Margaret Trudeau, Mental Health Awareness Advocate
- Robert DeLuce, President and CEO, Porter Airlines
- Masai Ujiri, General Manager, Toronto Raptors
- Futures Forum on Smart Communities
Communications and Marketing
University of Ontario Institute of Technology
905.721.8668 ext. 6709